Last Updated on May 26, 2018
Living in an apartment and utilizing a garbage disposal is quite different than living in a home and utilizing a garbage disposal. If a garbage disposal is not used correctly back up can occur in an apartment above or below yours. Please note the following list of “don’ts for garbage disposal usage:
1. Don’t pour grease or fat down your disposal or any drain. It can build up in pipes and cause drain blockages. Put grease in a jar or can and dispose in the trash.
2. Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste. It is okay to drain hot water into the disposal between grinding periods. Always run plenty of cold water.
3. Don’t fill disposal with a lot of food scraps all at once. Instead, turn the water and disposal on first and then feed the food scraps in gradually.
4. Don’t put any expandable foods down the disposal like oatmeal, rice, anything in the starch family, etc.
5. Don’t pour coffee grounds into the garbage disposal. Coffee grounds should be disposed of with your normal trash.
6. Don’t grind extremely fibrous materials like corn husks, artichokes, vegetable peels, banana peels, seafood shells, etc., to avoid possible drain blockage.
7. Don’t turn off disposal until grinding is completed and only the sound of the motor and water is heard.
8. Don’t overload the garbage disposal but always feed the disposal gradually while always running cold water.
We greatly appreciate your cooperation in this matter and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact General Services at 410-737-8838 ext. 8190.
And when in doubt, throw it out!
WHAT YOU CAN PUT IN A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
*Everyday food waste scraps
*Peelings from citrus fruits to freshen up drain smells
WHAT NOT TO PUT IN A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
*Anything that is not biodegradable
*Plastic and metal
*Fibrous food such as: celery, corn husks/cobs, pineapples, and asparagus
FRIENDLY REMINDERS ABOUT GARBAGE DISPOSALS
*Please make sure to run your disposal with a moderate to strong flow of cold water, continue to run cold water for 15 seconds after grinding is complete.
*Avoid pouring grease or fat into your disposal or drain.
*Too much of anything is not good.
*“When in doubt, throw it out.”
*The only things that should go into your garbage disposal are things that are left over after you scrap your plate into the garbage can.