Last Updated on March 20, 2023
General Services Shred-it Event April 1
Saturday, April 1, 2023
10 AM – 1 PM
Cross Creek Front Entrance
What to shred: Color office paper, file folders, staples, paper clips, rubber bands (no need to remove)
What NOT to shred: Cardboard, plastic, common trash, hazardous materials, CD, DVD, magnetic media, x-rays, computers and accessories
- Tuesdays – Caton Ridge, Harborview, St. Charles, Herbert’s Run
- Fridays – Brookside, Edgewood, Parkview, Chapel Court, Courtyard Crossing, Greentree Court, Arborside, Maple Terrace, Fountain Hill, & New Carroll
- Place all recyclable items in blue recycling bins and/or brown paper bags. Please do not put recyclable items for collection in plastic bags.
- Leave outside your door the night before scheduled pickup or before 7:30 AM on pick-up morning.
- If you need a recycling bin, call Charlestown Housekeeping at 410-737-8838, x8595.
- You may request up to 2 bins.
- Monday and Thursday
- DO NOT PUT YOUR TRASH OUT ON THE EVENING BEFORE PICKUP BEFORE 9:00 PM.
- Trash containers by the elevators and the lobby entrances are not designed for household trash. Please wait until a regular trash day for door side pickup.
- Adjusted pick-up schedules will be posted if a holiday falls on a pick-up day.
What to Recycle
Here is an updated list of items that can be recycled. Please print out for your refrigerator. This information reflects what can be recycled outside your apartment on recycling days and reflects what is handled by Waste Management, the company that collects our recycling. It differs from material handling at the dining rooms which is dictated by Baltimore County rules for restaurants.
Plastic Bags: Plastic bag disposal containers, are being collected in the laundry rooms.
Soft Plastic Details
Batteries: Drop in battery collection box in each laundry room.
Electronics (computers/monitors/printers/cell phones, etc.): Call Housekeeping (443-297-3783, #2 Housekeeping) by Monday. Pickup is on Tuesday.
Small Appliances (Toaster Ovens, etc.): Dispose with regular trash.
Syringe Needles: Place in a Sharps Container, which can be obtained by calling Housekeeping; do not place syringe needles in the trash. Call Housekeeping to pick up a full container.
Unwanted Medications:The Residents’ Council Health Committee partners with Charlestown’s Security and Emergency Services and the Baltimore County Police Department in holding a Medicine Disposal Day of prescription/non-prescription drugs quarterly. The collection is open to both Residents and Staff.
~~Consult the BLOG ARTICLE on proper disposal of unwanted medications. Empty medicine containers without lids, are recyclable; medicine container lids are not recyclable and should be put in the trash.
Amazon prime bags are recyclable if you cut out the label.
#1 – #7 acceptable plastic
Recyclable clamshells & various paper products
NO to paper coffee/drink cups and lids
NO to paper dessert and soup cups and lids
NO to paper napkins, towels & tissues
NO to anything labelled “compostable”